Stop the Port Ambrose Fracked Gas import/export Terminal
You may have already heard about Port Ambrose, the fracked gas facility proposed just off the coast of Long Island, New York. In fact, supporters like you have already helped raise nearly $5,000 to help stop this climate killer, and all of us in New York could not be more thankful. Now we're asking you to do what you do best: Sound Off. Use this page to submit a comment on why the Port Ambrose environmental review doesn't hold water. Here are some points you may want to copy and paste into your letter:
- Port Ambrose would poison endangered fish species, and decimate the local fishing industry.
- It would create a safety hazard next to major populated areas.
- The environmental review does not consider Latinos to be people of color.
- This fracked gas project would be constructed in place of a proposed wind farm.
- That Port Ambrose is proposed to be an LNG import facility on paper, but the numbers just don't add up. And the company proposing the terminal is fighting for faster exports of LNG, especially to the UK where it sells at a higher price. That makes Port Ambrose look more like an export-project-in-waiting.
- Wherever the gas goes, it will come from the Marcellus shale fields, and increase the dangerous practice of fracking in states like Maryland and Pennsylvania.
- Leaky fracking, transportation and liquefaction will result in a dramatic surge in global warming pollution - especially Methane - which is in direct conflict with the President's stated goals of fighting climate change.